Friday, July 14, 2006

Today I am Bob

This evening, the family and I went out to enjoy a lovely dinner at our favorite Tex/Mex feeding trough, followed by a visit to the omnipotent coffee joint, Starbucks. We placed our beverage orders, and the barista asked for a name to put on the cup. Now, for whatever reason, I am always a bit taken a-back by this. I mean, it's not a big deal to tell the person your first name and have it written on a cup, right? (sometimes people pay money to have a mug with their name on it - we were getting it for free!)
In any event, as it came time to give my name, I proudly stated my full first name. I pondered this for an instant, thinking, "wait, I could tell him ANY name, and he wouldn't know the difference". I then blurted out, "WAIT! Can I be Bob today?"
I thought that I would get a little giggle, or at least a grin from the "friendly" barista, and then he would shrug and pass the cup on to get filled.
However, without so much as a smirk, he took his little blue sharpie, scratched out my name, and wrote BOB ever so big and bold.

I thought this was the best thing since sliced bread. I asked to be Bob, and he made it so! This Barista ROCKS!

Then I noticed that he still wasn't laughing.

Hmm....I guess I'm not the first person to ask to be Bob on their cup.

1 comment:

SL Massingill said...

yes!! martinis!!! (or something similar)