Saturday, June 16, 2007

To Terry, Sandy, and others who have gone before me


Once again, I sit and work on my Black Belt written test. I have put much thought into it since the last post, but have not had time to actually work on it. Right now, I am taking a break from the hard thinking and am attempting to enjoy the beautiful weather outside in my backyard. I say "attempting" because of the ridiculous number of mosquitoes that quite enjoy my "sweetness". So much for sitting in my "thinking garden".
Now, perched on the deck swing, I shall explain my title......

First of all, it is important to note that those mentioned in the title are still physical entities on this Earth. Where they have gone before me is on the same journey which I am now experiencing. As I prepare for the upcoming big day, I can't help but look back over the past few years of training. (The view is an interesting one.)

Training for this test has been a great adventure thus far, and help along the way has come from numerous sources. This opportunity is something that I have anticipated for many years. Although I may not have been fully aware of it at the time, my training for this test began at least six years ago when I first entered our school. Many life changing events have occurred outside of my Martial Arts career, but I now am beginning to understand what was happening the first day that I stepped into the Dojo.
It was, if I recall correctly, one week (or so) prior to a Black Belt test. I was there to complete my registration form and pick up a uniform. As I completed my little tasks, the doors to one of the training floors opened and out came a bunch of very sweaty, very exhausted people. Something more than the sweat and fatigue caught my attention, however. (that is, aside from the thought of "Holy S*#T! What have I gotten myself into?") I noticed that this group of people of varying ages and walks of life appeared to have a certain bond with one another. I recall overhearing conversations about what they were going to have for breakfast the following Saturday and what they should eat the night before. There was a particular "energy" about them that I did not recognize as well as a certain amount of "aloofness". (I mean this in a good way.) (I came to find out moments later that they were preparing for a Black Belt test which was scheduled for the following week.)
Up to that point and for some time after, I must admit, I had thought of Martial Arts training as simply a class that people attended. Nothing more, nothing less. (Of course, I knew that historically speaking there was much more to it than that, I mean, I did see the original Karate Kid!) I just didn't expect to experience the "more".
I officially met Terry at my very first class. She was one of the people in that group that I mentioned earlier. I had the honor and privilege of learning the "rules" and proper basic techniques from Terry. I have not stopped learning from her to this day, although she is not presently training with us. I am frequently reminded of little "Terryisms" during my own training, and they are invaluable! Although I miss her fine tutelage at our school, I feel quite fortunate to be able to continue to receive the "isms" through the cyber world and such. ;-)
Another member of the aforementioned group was young Sandy. Sandy has also since moved on to more pressing endeavors at the present time, but as with Terry, I continue to learn from the lessons that Sandy taught me nearly two years ago.

What I am really trying to say is, I am now beginning to understand that "fog" that those sweaty, exhausted people seemed to have around them. It was a fog of knowledge and understanding. It was a fog of realization that we all have limitations and that in order to get past those individual limitations, we have to rely on those around us. It was also a fog of energy and intent and the ability to manifest things that we never thought possible before. (It was also the fog of stress, pressure and a boatload of information floating around inside a human brain.)

So, Sandy, Terry, (and the others) Thank you for being there at the beginning of my journey and for providing me with many of the tools that I need now as I approach the steepest part of the climb. I am truly grateful, and am thrilled to have this opportunity!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an extraordinary essay. It should be your black belt written test. I'm humbled (in my best Ralph Cramden voice). Seriously. Those foggy days are a fog to me, but the essence of it all has woven itself into my body, mind, and spirit at a level I think is typically hard to affect. I will never look at the world in the same way, or myself.

Almost nothing physical is hard now. Very few hard emotional things are overwhelming. And little things barely matter (sometimes). Those are the wonders (to me) of martial arts.

Now, my first real, clear awareness of you was a kind of low, foot shuffling, sort of eager, anxious woman, mumbling something about a relationship in turmoil. I listened and thought "what an old/young soul, a cool person". Then you felt compelled to tell me the other person in question was a female. No duh, I think was my response. "Keep talking." And so you did, and so I came to care dearly about you.

I always knew you had the strength of body and intent. But I wondered if you had the softness to yield, forgive yourself, accept yourself as the incredible leader you were born to be. And keep shaking out that tension, damn it.

So, I was a student of yours, and remain so, because you'll far surpass anything I ever accomplished in martial arts. But the student will always teach as well, so the circle goes on.

That's why I dedicated my Lords of Ch'i to my teachers (plural) and friends in the martial arts. Not because of the martial arts in the book, but because I'm thanking you and Sandy, and B and his teachers, and his, and so forth

And so, rambling will always be a big flaw...
Love,
Terry/Ciar Cullen

SL Massingill said...

Wow!
Thank you, Terry, my teacher and student. ;-)
Isn't it interesting, the way we remember things?

Anonymous said...

wow, that was amazing. I, too that should be your black belt written test. I am so glad I was able to join you both in the dojo and learn from you. I know I have changed a lot from the whole experience and am grateful for it. I can't wait to continue once again on my martial arts journey. I hope you don't mind me coming to you for advice and tips in the future. Hi Terry, I miss you.

Anonymous said...

You've been tagged. Go to my blog. Sorry about that. Waving to Lisa...

Unknown said...

It's funny, but for all of us who have gone through that test, it was a life affirming experience. I don't say life-changing, because the changes it made in me, in Terry and it is making in you are subtle and not at all obvious, but looking back at it now, that was the turning point for my confidence. I am now pursuing a goal i thought would be out of my reach.

I miss you and all my friends there. Thank you for your support and friendship.

-sandy

ps: you are going to *shine* I'm very proud of you.
pps: Hi Lisa!