Wednesday, June 25, 2014

What "To-Do"?

I love to begin my mornings in a somewhat "leisurely" way. This means I need to get up REALLY early. (let me add that lately, it has been a struggle to get up at all...details not necessary, but it happens to the best of us....and the key is seeing that there IS a gift in EVERY situation....then opening to the lesson, learning it, and shifting to a new practice.) Today, I have a later schedule, so can do a bit more and decided to read a bit from the book "You Can Create An Exceptional Life" by Louise Hay and Cheryl Richardson. It is an amazing book. "You Can Heal Your Life" changed my life a few years ago.... Anyway, this passage REALLY stuck out to me:

"For too may years I was in a perpetual battle with my to-do list, desperately racing to get things done so I could finally relax and enjoy my life. Now I relax and enjoy my life first." (Cheryl Richardson)

Although I have a semi-ritual in the morning, which includes journaling and meditating, I still battle with my "to-do" list and the contrast that I feel with wanting to simplify and enjoy my children and relationships. I am also KEENLY aware of the attachment that others have to their "to-do" list.

My take on this passage is this: YES, we HAVE to live life and accomplish what is on our "list", but at what cost? What is happening all around us that we miss? More importantly, what is happening WITHIN us that we are pushing away, ignoring, or overlooking? I've got all sorts of "stuff" bubbling up and ready to GET OUT, and diving into my abundance of task opportunities would be a great distraction. The thing is, the "bubbling" has become the greatest distraction so now I have to change my approach....make new choices. For me, it's a matter of shifting my focus in a very conscious way....recognizing the resistance and LETTING GO of the desire to shift the resistance that I see/feel from others. The scariest and most difficult part for me is just that....letting go.... What will happen? My first thought is, "what will I lose?" BUT, there's the key....CATCHING that thought and saying, "WHAT WILL I GAIN?"

What do YOU have to gain today by taking a step back from your "To-Do" list? (and doing whatever feels right for you to enjoy your life just a little bit more....to appreciate those you love and those who love you....to appreciate YOU and all that you have to offer this world....) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments: